RBSL Forums
May 08, 2024, 05:06:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Server Back Online

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the Rule as Written Below Be Passed? Please discuss before voting!
Yes - 19 (76%)
No - 6 (24%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TBD Extension Rule Change  (Read 5911 times)
SonicsGM
Moderators

View Profile Email
« on: September 07, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »

Good Afternoon,

As previously reported by the RBSL Simsider Twitter Account, the League Office is proposing a simplification of the TBD system which also dials back the most powerful use of these TBD extensions, while creating realism. The league office hereby submits to the General Managers of the RBSL Franchises

WHEREAS, the league is currently a never-ending daisy chain of Superteams,
WHEREAS, TBD Extensions are the most effective way of creating Superteams,
WHEREAS, the previous modification to the TBD extension of Rookie Contracts has failed to curtail Superteams,
WHEREAS, TBD Extensions of rookie contracts are the single most powerful use of TBD in terms of building strong teams,
WHEREAS, the current TBD extension rules are complicated,
WHEREAS, Nobody likes doing Math anyway, except for Ed,
WHEREAS, TBD Extensions of non-Rookies also have been shown to often extend Super-team construction where below market extensions were agreed to or signed via free agency,
WHEREAS, TBD Extensions can be a powerful tool to take a second crack at being offered a multi-year contract extension,
WHEREAS, All American Sports Leagues have some means to help franchises retain their own players (for example, Franchise Tags),
WHEREAS, We are not interested in seeing our best rookies automatically hit free agency if they don't offer one time,
WHEREAS, the RBSL Seeks to continually improve the competitive balance of the league and make rules as simple and easily explained as possible,

The League Office proposes the following rule change:

The Current rule for TBD Extensions currently contained in Team Bank Rules 2.0 will be stricken entirely and replaced by the following:

Extend a Player's Contract by One Year

1000 TBD - Extend a player's Contract by One year. The value of that one year extension shall be equal to the one-year maximum contract the player may be offered under the league rules (as determined by the program).
A contract extended this way may only be extended once per contract.

This rule goes into effect at the end of the 2091 Free Agency period, and will not apply to contracts signed prior to that time, including Rookie Contracts, Free Agency Contracts, and Contract Extensions. Contracts signed prior to that time will still be governed by the old TBD Extension system.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:47:56 PM by BucksGM » Logged
BucksGM
Pom
Moderators

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »

I know many of you will look at this proposed rule change and think "no way, I have a good rookie who I totally want to extend for super cheap!" I understand, and I empathize with you. But please consider this.

This will sound like me being a total dick, but look at the past champions page. I have won 12 out of the last 19 championships in this league. Jason has just built a team that shattered the already-absurd single-season wins record with a team that shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon. I heavily abused the extremely overpowered TBD extensions to build every single one of my championship teams. Jason's team is set up and well-poised to do the same with the same tool.

I have been exploiting the existing rule to the hilt better than anyone in the league, and if it is not changed I will continue to do so forever. The rule is overpowered and I've taken better advantage of it than anyone else to the tune of winning more than half of all championships in the past two decades.

This is why the rule should be changed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 04:55:14 PM by KingsGM » Logged

Jazz GM since 2054
'66, '70, '71, '72, '73, '74, '75, '76, '77, '83, '84, '85, '87, '91, '92, '93
KingsGM
Moderators

Of COURSE Game 6 was Fixed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »

Edited title to make it easier to find down the road when we need to reference this discussion, so that the conversation isn't had again after it has been so clearly decided upon.

2079-80 and 2093-94 GM's Choice GM of the Year
KingsGM
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:21:58 PM »

I voted no.  Making the only way to TBD extend a rookie so that you have to pay him $20mm would severely devalue all but the highest of 1st round picks, as it is highly unlikely that players picked outside of the top 5 will be worth spending max money on at the end of their rookie deal.  This will in turn create an influx of quality young talent that, while not elite just yet, could potentially be in time (see Hector Reed, for instance).  These guys flooding into the market would make it easier for capped out teams who are competing to add cheap talent and maintain their dominance.  The very problem this rule is supposed to be fixing would, in fact, make it worse.

You're better off simply getting rid of the TBD extension system entirely, and coming up with another way of helping teams retain their talent.  Educating the GMs on how to improve their chances of keeping those players would be the best option without creating more needless rules.

Generals GM

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »

I voted no.  Making the only way to TBD extend a rookie so that you have to pay him $20mm would severely devalue all but the highest of 1st round picks, as it is highly unlikely that players picked outside of the top 5 will be worth spending max money on at the end of their rookie deal.  This will in turn create an influx of quality young talent that, while not elite just yet, could potentially be in time (see Hector Reed, for instance).  These guys flooding into the market would make it easier for capped out teams who are competing to add cheap talent and maintain their dominance.  The very problem this rule is supposed to be fixing would, in fact, make it worse.

You're better off simply getting rid of the TBD extension system entirely, and coming up with another way of helping teams retain their talent.  Educating the GMs on how to improve their chances of keeping those players would be the best option without creating more needless rules.

Well said.

Figures vary as to exactly how often the Generals have beaten their rivals. Some reports say six, while the team's official website reports having three victories over the Globetrotters, one each in 1954, 1958 and 1971.
SunsGM

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »

I agree with your notion of non elite talent. We could maybe tweak the rule to adjust the salary based off draft position, performance and so on. I agree with Kyle's post that one of the biggest issues is the rng extension offer, but that can't be changed. I don't think educating GMs does anything. Most of us know about increasing loyalty and what not and it still comes down to dumb luck sometimes. I've had lots of players with A loyalty not offer jack. I'd like to see how this rule goes. If we don't like it then we tweak it or get rid of it. The league is in a good place but I don't see why we shouldn't still evaluate ways we could maybe improve it or add new wrinkles to it.
KingsGM
Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »

It is the belief of many (myself included) that personality traits like loyalty play no factor in extension offers, and instead only come into play in free agency.

MagicGM
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »

I agree with your notion of non elite talent. We could maybe tweak the rule to adjust the salary based off draft position, performance and so on. I agree with Kyle's post that one of the biggest issues is the rng extension offer, but that can't be changed.

Yeah, I agree that the RNG of the extension is a lot of the reason for the value of this proposal.  I don't really see a way around it, unfortunately.  The program is really limited - would be nice if you could offer extensions to every single player.  Don't understand why the game doesn't work like that.

SunsGM

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 07:53:13 PM »

The programs internal evaluation of a player plays a large part in the amount of money a player asks for during extensions and FA. This means there is also a some what color bias in the program. I never payed Garret Blakeslee more that 12 mil a year for the past 11 seasons when he should have reasonably been making way more. Corstan was the same way (The reverse Ronny White). This is nice for the team with those players but can be another contribution to the problem and is some what the flip side of the argument right presented by Dave. Bobby Avocado is a star by all metrics, but if he offers an extension I have serious doubts that it will be anything close to the max. Again, this is another problem we can't fix due to the limitations of fbb3, but I think it highlights why trying a new rule could be a useful venture.
MagicGM
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 09:17:34 PM »

The rule is officially passed!  Thanks to all who voted/commented.

BucksGM
Pom
Moderators

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »

A player's max allowable salary is the greater between their previous salary multiplied by (I believe) 1.05 or the table below.

Min/max salary table:

Exp   Min   Max
0   608,000   20,000,000
1   888,888   20,000,000
2   1,032,000   20,000,000
3   1,080,000   20,000,000
4   1,128,000   20,000,000
5   1,240,000   20,000,000
6   1,368,000   20,000,000
7   1,480,000   24,000,000
8   1,600,000   24,000,000
9   1,840,000   24,000,000