RBSL Forums
April 28, 2024, 04:15:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Server Back Online

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Raptors - Playoffs  (Read 57224 times)
AsstRapsGM
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »

I absolutely hate the win steak we're on right now. The situation is a complete replicate of BC's first year.

Couple of kids that are alright but no superstar (Ross, Val vs Bosh, Primo pasta), steady vets (Salmons lol, Hayes etc vs Parker, Garbo etc), PG playing for their next contract (Lowry v Ford), mediocre coaches (Casey v Mitchell), a medium level of cap space next season, ridiculously weak division/conference.

We should've sold our players in quick succession after the Gay trade and aim for a high pick. Instead we're now stuck in no mans land. Too good to tank but not good enough to win consistently.

Sigh. We just never learn...
I absolutely HATE this mentality..

We're winning the division, breeding a losing culture does dick for your franchise. You can only be a joke of a team for so long before people don't come and your team relocates. We tank, get a high draft pick who tanks, and then we cry that the team can't draft for shit. Losing is a vicious cycle, just enjoy the fact that right now we'd be hosting a playoff round.

2030, 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2049, 2050, 2053, 2063, 2064
MagicGM
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »

I absolutely hate the win steak we're on right now. The situation is a complete replicate of BC's first year.

Couple of kids that are alright but no superstar (Ross, Val vs Bosh, Primo pasta), steady vets (Salmons lol, Hayes etc vs Parker, Garbo etc), PG playing for their next contract (Lowry v Ford), mediocre coaches (Casey v Mitchell), a medium level of cap space next season, ridiculously weak division/conference.

We should've sold our players in quick succession after the Gay trade and aim for a high pick. Instead we're now stuck in no mans land. Too good to tank but not good enough to win consistently.

We're winning the division, breeding a losing culture does dick for your franchise. You can only be a joke of a team for so long before people don't come and your team relocates. We tank, get a high draft pick who tanks, and then we cry that the team can't draft for shit. Losing is a vicious cycle, just enjoy the fact that right now we'd be hosting a playoff round.

As a fan of a team who got two #1 overalls and #4 overalls recently, I'd much rather be hosting a playoff game than dealing with the culture of losing that has surrounded this franchise recently.

Scott

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:30:22 PM »

Don't get me wrong. It'd be nice to see them win, but this roster is simply not good enough, and will spend yet another lifetime as a treadmill team.

Fixed.
ClippersGM
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »

This thread jinxed them nicely
BlazersGM

King Sally

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »

After Lowry comes back down to earth next year after he signs his contract, what value is on the roster? Up until a few weeks ago, we'd get a Rudy Gay like return for Derozan. We tried trading Lowry for a future first, and the rest of the roster is filled with 6th man type role players on a good team.

The team is blinded by a string of wins, and a bunch of Fan590 guys flapping about a winning culture. Making the playoffs is exciting, sure. With that said, this team is just simply not good enough moving forward. We have no star, and you need a star to compete in this league.

If we had a good young core, I'd be all for making the playoffs and letting these guys experience it. We don't have that. This team needs to pick a direction and stick to it, but being a treadmill team that's going to get trounced in the first round is not good enough.
BlazersGM

King Sally

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 08:15:54 PM »

As a fan of a team who got two #1 overalls and #4 overalls recently, I'd much rather be hosting a playoff game than dealing with the culture of losing that has surrounded this franchise recently.

You'd want to get swept in the first round over drafting a guy like Jabari Parker? If you, or the Raptors had a strong enough management system, worrying about consistently drafting busts wouldn't be an issue. It starts at the top.
MagicGM
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »

You'd want to get swept in the first round over drafting a guy like Jabari Parker? If you, or the Raptors had a strong enough management system, worrying about consistently drafting busts wouldn't be an issue. It starts at the top.

I'm just saying, having high picks doesn't guarantee anything. This year I'd rather have a good shot at Parker over being an 8 seed. But he seems more can't-miss than the recent drafts.

ExPacersGM

CraDanMil243
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »

After Lowry comes back down to earth next year after he signs his contract, what value is on the roster? Up until a few weeks ago, we'd get a Rudy Gay like return for Derozan. We tried trading Lowry for a future first, and the rest of the roster is filled with 6th man type role players on a good team.

The team is blinded by a string of wins, and a bunch of Fan590 guys flapping about a winning culture. Making the playoffs is exciting, sure. With that said, this team is just simply not good enough moving forward. We have no star, and you need a star to compete in this league.

If we had a good young core, I'd be all for making the playoffs and letting these guys experience it. We don't have that. This team needs to pick a direction and stick to it, but being a treadmill team that's going to get trounced in the first round is not good enough.

Maybe they did pick a direction, and they're just outperforming expectations? Ujiri decided he didnt want all that money tied up into a guy that wasn't getting him anywhere, so he got some cap flexibility and short-term depth in return for him. The East is fucking pathetic, everybody and their mama is tanking for a shot at a few guys who you have no guarantees about. SOMEBODY has to win the games that are played, I know fans of 1/3 of the league's teams wish both teams could lose sometimes, but thats not the way it works.

Also, constantly losing gets you fired, very few executives/coaches ever have the job security to do this kinda stuff all the time.
AsstRapsGM
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »

I disagree that our roster is not talented.. Derozan is coming into his own, Jonas could legit be a star in this league, Ross is developing rapidly..

2030, 2036, 2037, 2038, 2048, 2049, 2050, 2053, 2063, 2064
Scott

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 05:30:52 AM »

I disagree that our roster is not talented.. Derozan is coming into his own, Jonas could legit be a star in this league, Ross is developing rapidly..

Handful of talented players who will never develop into anything special until after they've left Toronto.

Same story for 20 years, but I'm sure you're right, this time will be different. This time they're gonna be really good.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:32 AM »

No point in trying to win Scott over Lou. Haters gotta hate...

Go Raps Go
SpiritGM

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »

Maybe they did pick a direction, and they're just outperforming expectations? Ujiri decided he didnt want all that money tied up into a guy that wasn't getting him anywhere, so he got some cap flexibility and short-term depth in return for him. The East is fucking pathetic, everybody and their mama is tanking for a shot at a few guys who you have no guarantees about. SOMEBODY has to win the games that are played, I know fans of 1/3 of the league's teams wish both teams could lose sometimes, but thats not the way it works.

Also, constantly losing gets you fired, very few executives/coaches ever have the job security to do this kinda stuff all the time.

Well, I've repeated this on RealGM umpteenth times. But this was the right year to tank for a sustained future (not just a feel good hand job that'll leave you empty inside for years after). Why?

1. Great depth of talents available
2. A top ranked Canadian star is in the mix
3. We just hired a new GM
4. Everyone expected us to tank
5. Shit-ass coach who is in the last year of his contract

Masai was signed to a 5 year contract. He has time and the support of management to tank if he deemed it to be a good route. Good for him to trade Gay out for smaller contracts. But when he decided to wait and see about the rest of the roster, we're left with the same quagmire. Every time.

Oh BTW even if you think JV and Ross will be future super-duper stars (and I don't), what's the harm in tanking one more year to get another great young player to make us a true championship contender? Imagine Parker with us? Or Embiid? Or Wiggins? Or .....?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:06:52 PM by MavsGM » Logged
SpiritGM

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »

RIP to Bennett's career LOL.. Cavs really need a new GM/owner. Mr. Comic Sans basically sealed the teams' fate when he decided they will "become champs earlier than Heat". Having Chris Grant as the GM ain't helping one bit - he fucks up everything he touches.
WizardsGM

Brian Jacobs

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »

lmao... My Sixers got killed around here, where I live, for Turner being a bust. He's starting to come around. MCW is making up for everything so far. This coming year will tell a whole lot. Nerlens Noel finally (hopefully) plays a full season, knock on wood 5,000 times and our two lotto picks are revealed. And all that cap space...

Washington Wizards GM: 2056-Present
Career Record: 1816-1218 (59.9%)
Playoff Record: 192-131 (59.4%)
ECF Champs: 2061, 2070, 2071, 2086, 2087, 2088, 2091
ExPacersGM

CraDanMil243
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »

As a life long Suns fan,  I hear you trust me. But sometimes your team is just better than you thought. Our new GM sent out anyone resembling an NBA player minus Dragic, and they still are on pace to almost double their win total from last year. Sometimes there's not a lot you can do. What're you going to do? Tell the players to stop trying? As I said, somebody has to win every game.

Well, I've repeated this on RealGM umpteenth times. But this was the right year to tank for a sustained future (not just a feel good hand job that'll leave you empty inside for years after). Why?

1. Great depth of talents available
2. A top ranked Canadian star is in the mix
3. We just hired a new GM
4. Everyone expected us to tank
5. Shit-ass coach who is in the last year of his contract

Masai was signed to a 5 year contract. He has time and the support of management to tank if he deemed it to be a good route. Good for him to trade Gay out for smaller contracts. But when he decided to wait and see about the rest of the roster, we're left with the same quagmire. Every time.

Oh BTW even if you think JV and Ross will be future super-duper stars (and I don't), what's the harm in tanking one more year to get another great young player to make us a true championship contender? Imagine Parker with us? Or Embiid? Or Wiggins? Or .....?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: